Saturday, December 5, 2009

How do I get my teenage autistic son to treat his acne?

I have a 14 year old son who is autistic (Asperger's syndrome which is very mild autism) that has severe acne. I have tried to get him to take care of himself but he won't do it. The acne doesnt bother him and does not appear to affect his self esteem but I am very worried about scarring. Is there anyone else out there in the same situation that has any suggestions on how I can get him to treat his acne?How do I get my teenage autistic son to treat his acne?
Is your son's resistance in part because it presents a change in routine? If he already has some type of self-hygene routine, try to covertly modify it. Like by exchanging his regular soap for a medicated astrigent. Or including some anti-acne cream with his moisturizer or sunscreen.





Some types of acne respond well to antibiotics or other medications. You might ask your son's doctor about that. (Applesauce is a good hiding place for crushed pills.)





Good luck.


I have a child on the autistic sprectrum, too.How do I get my teenage autistic son to treat his acne?
my son is 15 and same poblem with him. Doctor gave him a pill he takes once a day along with his reg meds. Report Abuse

my 15 yr old takes a pill once a day that helps!!! Report Abuse

why can't you help him? Just sit him down and wash his face or put gel on his face.
Try Show %26amp; Tell.
I am an adult with Asperger's Syndrome, but I swear I did whatever it took to get rid of acne when I was fourteen. Maybe it would help if you ignored your son's acne. That's what my mother did. Who knows. It might work. A fourteen-year-old autistic can't be forced to do anything I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
student loan